Monday, November 19, 2012

Monogram Vinyl Make-Up Bags

This was my first time sewing with vinyl. After seeing the end result I can definitely say it will not be my last! You could choose to leave the bags clear, but aligning cotton fabric underneath adds a whole other level of difficulty cuteness to the bags! Trust me, the difficulty is worth it!
Here's what I used:
  • Simplicity Pattern 9949 Bag E
  • Transparent Vinyl Brillante (comes on a bold in most craft stores in different thicknesses depending on what kind of project you're making).
  • 7-12in coordinating zipper
  • 1/4 yard material
  • 1/4 yard contrast material
  • Sewing Machine, notions, coordinating thread
  • OPTIONAL: Colored adhesive vinyl used for Cricut machines (I created the monograms using the Cricut Alphalicious Cartridge.) I cut the letters out with slick side of the vinyl sheet sticking to the mat, this way the adhesive was on the front side of the letter when removing the paper backing. I then applied it to the inside of bag between the clear vinyl and the fabric with the letters actually adhering to the clear vinyl. Do this step before closing your bag with the zipper.